Friday, January 30, 2009

Locks of Love

If you had taken a tour with me in the past two years, you may remember that I was the girl with the long, brown, curly hair. As of this past Friday, however, I am an entirely new woman. I cut fifteen inches of my hair and donated it to Locks of Love, an organization that makes wigs for children who have lost their hair while undergoing chemotherapy. Although now when I reach back to twist my hair into a ponytail and get a fist-full of nothing, I am slowly getting used to my new do.

You may be aware of the Service Learning requirement at Warren Wilson, 100 hours of community service to graduate. Unfortunately, inches of hair, pints of blood, and ounces of love cannot be converted into service hours. Thus, when a WWC student gives these immeasurable objects, it is simply for the benefit of others. Through the Service Learning Program at WWC, I have learned to give others what I can afford to give without reward or incentive. I have completed my requirement of 100 hours for a while now, and I continue to attend games night at Presbyterian Homes. Whether it be hair, time, or love, I have learned to love the simplest act of giving to others.

Rachel

No comments: