Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ski NC?

Last month, I went skiing with a couple of friends at a hill that was just an hour away from Warren Wilson. Yes, you understood me correctly, I went skiing in North Carolina! We left after class, drove an hour, and there we were, at a latitude of 35°56'. Along the way, we feasted on home baked baguettes and almond butter, which stuck to our ribs, filling us up nicely. Upon our arrival at the foot of the hill, it was snowing and minus 17 °C to boot! I was totally duped; it felt like I was actually at a latitude of 46°67'. Beautiful skiing weather, I thought

Mark and I rented gear while Sean had his snowboard with him, which he keeps packed away in his room somewhere on the third floor of Ballfield C. We skied until our muscles were too cold and our fingertips and toes too cold to know that they still existed. Was it probable that the particles in my toes would theoretically turn into a wave when I wasn’t rubbing them furiously, trying to increase blood flow to my toe. Is the uncertainty principle active at the bases of NC ski hills?

After returning our gear, we found our way back to the car. Driving home, Mark dozed off in the backseat, recovering from a hardcore night where he trained his muscles to keep him upright while fixed to several layers of fiberglass while gliding on a snowy incline. Sean drove us home with his mildly frostbitten fingertips. We returned home, exhausted, looking forward to the next time we could hit the slopes in the beautiful state of North Carolina.

Lora

No comments: