Monday, September 13, 2010

Ronan’s Blended Family

As many first year college students will explain, leaving a pet behind to pursue educational endeavors can be as challenging as parting with a human family. As I enter my senior year at Warren Wilson, I can reflect on my many tearful comings and goings. Several times per year I travel from my home in New York to this beautiful valley. While Warren Wilson has truly become my home away from home, Wilson is also home to my beloved dog, Ronan.

On one fateful spring evening last April my friend called me to explain how he happened upon a stray dog. However, the docile black lab was not a stray, but a loved companion also residing on Warren Wilson Road. The following morning the sweet dog, named Ducky, was joyfully reunited with his mom and dad. Upon returning him, Ducky’s parents gave me the gift of a lifetime- an eight week old puppy. Ducky’s parents had recently rescued a pregnant pooch during the great snow storm of 2010. Ducky’s dad explained that my little black puppy was so special that they called him “Duckling.” I renamed the baby, Ronan, meaning “little seal” in Gaelic.

When the school year commenced, I brought my puppy home to his temporary residence in New York. He has grown from a tiny puppy to a sixty pound dog almost over night. Ronan loves his new family on Long Island including our miniature dachshund, Delilah. However, I long for the moment when Ronan and I return to our home together. Hopefully, he will be joining me for family weekend in the meantime!

Cait

No comments: