Sunday, May 6, 2012

Westward Philosophy

Two weeks ago I spent a weekend in and around Portland, Oregon. I was in the region to present a paper in philosophy at the 16th Annual Pacific University Undergraduate Philosophy Conference in Forest Grove, Oregon. My trip westward was incredible and wouldn’t have happened without the support of the Warren Wilson College community.

I first heard about this conference while enrolled in a modern philosophy course. My professor sent out an e-mail with a few fellowship and conference opportunities, and I thought this one was particularly interesting. I knew I couldn’t afford it, but just being accepted would have been enough for me; it would have been an indicator that I’m doing something right.

A few weeks after submitting my paper, I received confirmation that I was accepted into the conference in the category of social and political philosophy. I was thrilled, but never even considered the possibility of heading out there. I simply didn’t have the money. By some odd twist of fate, in a meeting with my political science advisor later that week, in an entirely different conversation, I was made aware of undergraduate research grants. The gears in my head went haywire as I considered the possibility of heading out to Oregon. Still, I knew I would need to ask for a pretty penny and refused to get my hopes up yet.

Despite my skepticism, I applied for the grant and submitted it to the Dean of Teaching, Gary Hawkins, with my modern philosophy professor, Matt Whitt, serving as my sponsor—essentially, he would vouch for me when the grant was being considered for acceptance. Only a few weeks after submitting my application, I found out that my grant was accepted. I was shocked. In a few weeks I went from considering the trip impossible to having the financial wherewithal to make it happen.
It was only two weeks ago, but I still have fond memories of Portland. The conference was great and I was granted the opportunity to speak for an hour-and-a-half when the presentation before mine cancelled. I was able to experience a new city and amazing people, network within my field of study and gain insight into what philosophy can be outside the classroom.

All in all, this experience was an indicator of what I love about Warren Wilson. I had a strong support network that presented me with this opportunity to represent the college and to advance my own studies. I was able to escape the college during the end of the semester crunch, which has been a tremendous help as I blast through these last few weeks of the academic year. Most importantly, traveling to a new place offered a reminder of what life is like outside the college.

As I stress out over final exams, cumulative papers, quizzes, tests, and the like, I have clarity and perspective and remember why I’m doing this. Sometimes, when my eyes are bloodshot from writing for hours and hours, or I struggle to stay awake to finish my night’s reading assignments, it can be a daunting task to try and recall what all of this is for. When the college supports me to the degree it did in this experience, and hints at what life can be like after graduation, I’m grounded and can carry on with my work with peace of mind.

No comments: