Monday, September 8, 2008

From the British Parliament…to the jungle...

This summer I had the opportunity to represent Warren Wilson College as an ELC intern, in Tres Piedras, Costa Rica. The Environmental Leadership offers a variety of paid summer internships, available to Warren Wilson College students every year. As a researcher for the Tropical Forestry Initiative, I took part in a variety of projects ranging from tree planting, to studying the water infiltration rates of various tropical soils. As a Political Science/History and Global Studies double major, I came into the internship without any previous comprehensive knowledge of ecology. Though I initially found this factor to be inhibiting… I came to appreciate the connections I began to make between ecology, and the political realm of the world, I am familiar with. I also came to realize the connections between our actions and choices at home in the United States, and the impact it has on the people and the environment of the tropical rain forest. As someone who has always been interested in a career dealing with the “policy” aspect of politics and international relations; I feel as though I now may have a more legitimate voice having actually worked in the field. I am very grateful for have been given this opportunity, and encourage all students at WWC to take advantage of the ELC internship program!

Caitlin

No comments: