Monday, September 1, 2008

I Don’t Like Owls!

As an Outdoor Leadership major, I am required to complete an internship to round out my learning experience. The internship requires that I find a job in the outdoor education field, keep a journal of my experiences, and then hold a presentation about my summer in an outdoor leadership class. I chose to work at Nature Discovery Camp for Kids, a day camp in Shepherdstown, WV, which is close to my home of Myersville, MD. The camp is funded by the Potomac Valley Audubon Society (http://www.potomacaudubon.org/) and is held at the Yankauer Nature Preserve.

Having worked at this camp last summer I knew it would be a good place for me to complete my internship. So all summer long I led groups of children ages 6-10 on hikes on the 3 miles of trail at the preserve, made fun crafts related to plants and animals living in the area, and played so many games I didn’t know what to do with myself. The camp held six sessions with themes such as “Earth Artists,” “Camp Survivor,” and “Bird Brains.” The summer ended with a family camp-out on the preserve, which included a night owl prowl. We called to and listened for great horned owls, and when we heard an owl reply with “Who cooks for you?” a nervous child near the back of the line cried out, “I don’t like owls!” We ended the hike shortly after that.

I am so pleased that I’ve been given so many opportunities to work with people in the outdoors. It gives me great pride to know that I’m educating children about their natural environment at such a critical age. I have the chance to influence the next generation in a positive way and that the knowledge I pass to them might be the reason they care about the world.

Laurel

No comments: