Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Chipmunk Amok

People often ask me on tours, “What’s your favorite thing about Warren Wilson?” I know I asked that very same question when I came to visit the college. We all know how unreasonable that question is. You want me to narrow down my immeasurable list to one attribute of the college? I know, I know…it’s exciting to hear what people can come up with on the spot!

Yesterday, I had some free time, so I decided to do one my many favorite activities on campus. Walking our trails! I set out on our River Trail, which winds its way along the Swannanoa River. It’s hard to stop once you get going, and as a result, I found myself far off on the Berea trails. It was an unusually warm day, and the animals were out and about. I saw my first North Carolinian Chipmunk! I gave him quite a fright, sneaking up behind him to get a closer look. It’s nice to go out for a walk, take a nice breather from our busy schedules.

The great thing about the location of our campus is that we are tucked away in the breathtakingly beautiful Swannanoa Valley. We have access to over 600 acres of forest, and 25 miles of trails on campus. You don’t need to fret if you need some time in town. Asheville is a free, short bus ride away, where there is always something going on!

So this week, if I were to give you a tour, I would answer that hefty question with a definitive reply: the Trails!

Lora

From our friends at Wikipedia
Running *amok, sometimes referred to as simply amok (also spelled amuck or amuk), is derived from the Malay word amuk, meaning "mad with rage" (uncontrollable rage).

No comments: