Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentin-less Junior comtemplates Love.

Today is Valentine’s Day, and I forgot to wear red yet again this year. I don’t have a valentine, but I do have lots of chocolate (which is better anyway). As today is a day about love, let me take a paragraph or two to describe my infatuation with the liberal arts system of education.

I am in six different classes right now: Photography I; Literature of the Restoration and Queen Anne Period; Shakespeare; Jazz Ensemble; Applied Voice; and The Literature of AIDS (Independent Study). My schedule is comprised of classes that do and do not fullfill requirements for the English major. Photography and Jazz Band, are classes that I have never had any previous experience with, which is one of my favorite things about the liberal arts education: I can take pretty much anything that I am interested in regardless of my choice of major.

Within the English Major though, I have an all-star team of professors to help me explore my various interests. First, there is Carol Howard, a brunette bombshell whose name is on the contributors page of the Bedford Handbook. Then, there is David Mycoff, a Medieval, Shakespearean, and Chaucerian scholar who acts in many of the school plays. And last, but not least of course, is Sam Scoville, a metaphorically-minded linguistics professor who has been at Warren Wilson for decades. Their interests are as diverse as their teaching styles.

Thanks to the support I’ve received for my intellectual pursuits at WWC, I no longer cringe when people ask me what I want to be when I grow up. I have become confident in not knowing specifically because I know that the knowledge and experience that I’ve gained will be valuable in many different professions. I know for sure that absolute certainty is a myth. The liberal arts system of education has spoiled me, and I have fallen in love with possibilities.

Rachel

No comments: