Monday, February 25, 2008

Color Me Java

I put my book in my bag, along with my coffee mug, and got on thebus from Warren Wilson College to go to downtown Asheville. I wandered around for a bit and then found my way to the Dripolator Coffeehouse – one of my favorite downtown hangout spots. Saturday afternoon is a very busy time for the Dripolator – lots of Warren Wilson students and various other groups gather there to study or to catch up on life. It was hard to find a spot to sit, but my friend and I finally found a little table nestled into a corner. It happened to be a wonderful place to sit – people to watch, and not too much noise. I got sucked into my book and read for as long as I could. I sipped from my vanilla latte until it disappeared and decided that it was probably time to head out and catch the bus back to campus.

One day earlier this year I rode the bus into Asheville and ended up spending almost all day there. I had most of a book to read and a paper to write. I was so excited about getting a cup of coffee – 50 cent refills – and sitting down at one of the black tables in the window to write and read. The Dripolator has several different seating options – there are tables with chairs like in any coffee shop, short tables on the window sill, couches and big comfy chairs, and a bar-type seating area looking out the window. I did end up spending all day there and had way too much coffee, but I got my reading and my paper finished!

I have found the Dripolator, both in Asheville and Black Mountain, to be a wonderful place to hang out and study – alone or with friends. The drinks are very tasty as are the various baked goods. They have desserts, muffins, bagels, scones, biscotti, fresh fruit, and so much more! Despite the noise that bothers some people, I find it relatively easy to focus at the Drip. There’s a nice buzz of the music along with various conversations going on. I’ve seen loads of people plugged into their iPods, computers, or other MP3s or CD players. It makes for a chill place to hang out and catch up – or curl up and read a good book.

Adrianne

No comments: