Monday, February 18, 2008

A Kentucky Southerner in King Arthur’s Court

Looking back on my fall semester in London, England, I find myself longing to be back in the heart of Westminster once again. Waking up in my flat at 6 Knaresborough Place, dressing in a suit, grabbing the London Paper, and forcing myself onto an all-too-packed underground car at Earl’s Court, was all apart of my daily routine to the Houses of Parliament each morning. Working as a researcher for Nigel Evans MP, proved to be one of the most incredible experiences of my life.

On my first day of work, (I'm the one in pink under Big Ben) I recall sitting on the terrace of the Houses of Parliament overlooking the River Thames, eating lunch with my new co-workers. I remember thinking what was I, a Kentucky girl from Warren Wilson College doing here in London working for the British Government? How was this even possible? My two mentors, Andrew an Oxford History Graduate whose father is the British High Commissioner to Pakistan, and Daniel a Durham Law Graduate whose father is a barrister on the Queen’s Court, both had been working with Nigel for over a year now. My feelings of being ill-equipped for this internship soon faded as Andrew and Daniel walked me through the “who’s who” and “what’s what” in Parliament.

Within two weeks, they had given me an all access pass, and left me to run the office while they went to the Party Conference in Blackpool, England. I felt comfortable answering the phone and dealing with questions. People had actually begun getting used to hearing an American southern draw when they called Nigel’s office. As I became more involved in constituent correspondence I became familiar with British Ministers’ names and positions and had a real understanding of the issues and concerns of the Ribble Valley (Northwest England). I fell in love with British politics and how Her Majesty’s Government is run. During the four months I was there, I saw the State Opening of Parliament by the Queen, shared an elevator with the Leader of the Opposition (David Cameron), and had the honor of being Nigel’s guest at the Stranger’s Bar, a “MP’s Only” establishment directly under the speaking chambers.

Each day was an adventure, a new learning experience, and an absolute blessing. My Worldwide experience in London has forever changed my life. I will never forget the things I learned and the friends I have made. Though I deeply miss my life in London, my job in Parliament, and my jet set lifestyle of living in Europe; I now feel more secure in where I am in my life, and where I am going.

Caitlin

No comments: